Sunday, July 7, 2013

Couponing 101

Alright, I've had my iced coffee :) so let me share with you what I know about couponing! :) 
Everyone is always amazed how I score deals like paper towels for 17 cents or other various deals for pennies on the dollar. So here's the start to my Couponing 101:

1. You want to always get the Sunday paper. This is where you find most of your coupons to use for your deals. Usually the WI State Journal and Chicago paper offer deals if you subscribe. When we moved to IL I received a coupon in the welcome pack from USPS for 99 cents per week to have the Sunday paper delivered. This will save on gas and get you your coupons! The paper will pay for itself regardless if you subscribe to it or buy it at the store. Usually the paper is about $1.99-$2.50 at the stores when I've purchased it in the past. 

2. Sign up for the reward cards! This is where I score a lot of my freebies too. I am signed up for CVS, DSW, and Victoria's Secret rewards. These do not cost money to sign up for, you'll get a card to have in your wallet or on your keys to scan when you go in(except VS you'll just get coupons in the mail). Plus I have the VS, Kohl's, Old Navy credit cards. These are great ones to have because they will send you extra deals or perks just for having the card! I get FREE underwear coupons from VS about every other month. DSW emails you $10 off coupons almost monthly and I always get a 3 pack of socks for $10.95 and then after the $10 off it makes the socks $1 with tax! They are usually name brands too which is great! :) Kohl's has sent me $5 and $10 off coupons along with 15%, 20%, or even 30% off coupons! :) The Old Navy card you get points for your purchases at Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Gap. Once you hit a certain amount of points you can earn $5-$10 reward to use in store! I recently signed up for the Walgreens reward card too and will be learning more about that so I can share with you as well! Another great rewards card is the Goodwill card, yes it's a thrift store but when you spend $20 or more you get 5% off plus they will send you 25% off coupon on your birthday! Thrift stores are always pretty inexpensive so this is just a great addition to help your wallet!

3. Print coupons from coupons.com There are other sites to print coupons but this is my main one since they usually have the best coupons and they all work at the stores. Target also has a coupon section for name brand and their own generic brands as well. I've scored many deals using those. You can even stack coupons there(will post more info about stacking another day) so you can score some free stuff! 

4. Sign up for email and text alerts. Follow your favorite stores/brands on Facebook. Most of the time when you sign up for these you can just delete them if there's not a good deal but sometimes you'll get great deals this way! Sometimes with Facebook, companies will post deals only for their FB fans. I've scored many free Bath and Body Works products this way, usually a free travel sized item but it's still free! Just print out the coupon or show it to the cashier on your smart phone and you are set!

5. Start with learning the coupon policy of 1-2 of your favorite stores and master it. Start off slow and learn one or two of your favorite stores policies. Some stores are pickier than others. Usually they will have a link for their coupon policy online or you can ask a manager for one at the store.  When in doubt with using a coupon, just ask and see if you can use it. Sometimes they say you can't and sometimes you can and then you'll score a fabulous deal! I will also try to find the coupon policy links and share that with you! Remember, it never hurts to ask and the worst thing that they can say is no! Also remember to be patient and not get too worked up or nervous when you are at the checkout. I remember when I first started I'd get nervous when they would scan my coupon and it would beep that it wouldn't work. Just be patient and you will get through it. Sometimes they call up for a manager and it usually gets worked out and you still get your deals! :)

I hope this information is helpful for you to start your couponing adventures! Please let me know your favorite stores and deals you find!

--Randi


No comments:

Post a Comment